Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cycling Coaching




Back in 1990 I took the class, and passed the test, to become a certified USA Cycling Coach.  Once I was certified I used my knowledge to coach many individual riders and also 2 cycling clubs- The University of Michigan Cycling Team and The Flying Rhino Cycling Club.  I enjoyed working with cyclists and helping them improve their skills and work towards their goals.  But as my personal training business and commitments increased, I spent fewer hours on the bike and fewer hours around cyclists.  Eventually it was so few of both that I retired from racing, and I let my coaching license expire.


I wasn't able to stay retired from racing for too long.   Eventually I made my way back to 1 race, which became 2, which became an entire season's worth. And eventually, actually this past year, I was asked by a number of different riders to help them with their winter training plans.  It had been a while since I had written out any structured cycling training plans- except my own- but I happily agreed to help everyone out who asked out.  As I got deeper and deeper into developing and writing up the training programs, I realized I had to make my work "official" and become a certified coach again.  So in 2012 I read the book, and passed the test, to become a certified USA Cycling Coach.  I am very excited for the work I have done, the clients I am helping and the plans I have for the coming months.

-Jason



No comments:

Post a Comment