Saturday, March 12, 2011

To Eat Before or After Training?



The questions involving nutrition and training are some of the most common questions I am asked.  Here are the big three that I encounter most often:

● Should I eat before or after I train?
● How much should I eat when I am going to train?
● What should I eat before I am going to train?

While I make no claims to be a dietician or nutritionist, I do understand the energy needs of the body, and I am comfortable making general recommendations to help you with fueling your workouts.  For the sake of this discussion, and this advice, I am going to work with the following assumptions about the "average" person:

☑ You are a non-competitive athlete or weekend warrior
☑ Your workout will be shorter than 1 hour in duration
☑ You are fitting your training in around a real-life schedule (work, school, kids, etc.)

If those assumptions do not pertain to you because you are more advanced or structured with your training, then the following information may be helpful, but too general.  If this is the case, feel free to contact me and we can speak more in-depth about your needs and how to meet them.  However, if the above scenario describes who you are, and what you do, then the information should be perfect for you.

Should I eat before or after I train?
There is an abundance of literature available which breaks down the timing of when you should eat in relation to what you are doing.  While I find the research to be fascinating and beneficial, I also find its application to be potentially too confusing to the "average" person.  Yes, there is a correct time to eat in relation to your workout; however, that correct time may have no opportunity to mesh with your lifestyle.
My advice:  If you are hungry before your workout then eat something to get you through the workout.  If you are not hungry before your workout then skip the snack or meal.

How much should I eat when I am going to train?
This question works with the assumption that you do need some energy to get you through your workout.  The answer is one that is best figured out with your own trial and error.  I know some people who can eat a full lunch and then go right to a long training session.  There are others who get a little queasy if they have too large of a meal and then try to workout.  Try different combinations of calories and workout types to see what works best for you.
My advice:  Don't eat so much that you bloat yourself and feel discomforted, but eat enough so that you have the proper energy to get through a solid workout.

What should I eat before I am going to train?
The answer is pretty straightforward and tasty.  The answer is consume a food source that is high in carbohydrates, both the simple and the complex type.  Twenty five years ago, to get these we had to rely heavily upon fruits of some sort.  When I started training seriously, we ate bananas, apples and sometimes Fig Newtons to prepare us for our activity.  Since then there has been an explosion in the number of sports nutrition products that are available.  From drinks to bars to gels and all of the way back to good old fruit, there is something out there that will work for you.  I would recommend that you experiment a little.  Most supermarkets now have a nutritional bar section.  Select a few that look intriguing to you and try them out.  I recommend avoiding the ones that have a protein content of greater than 15 grams per serving.
My advice:  Eat what you like and are comfortable with.  Find a food source that is high in carbohydrate - complex and simple - and not too high in protein.


If you follow all of the above guidelines, I am confident you will be able to navigate yourself through all of your workout nutritional needs.  If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.  Good luck!

-Jason

4 comments:

  1. I recommend Mojo bars but I have sugar issues so I need the protein before and during significant workouts. Much better than the chili fries Carrie, Julie, Cathy and I used to eat before big games 25 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not recommend chili fries for a variety of reasons! The Mojo bar is perfect if you are looking for a little higher ratio of protein to carb. It has 9 grams of protein in it's 200 calorie serving. And it's tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how about 1 cup of egg whites?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do know someone who used to insist on a omelet before every bike race we did. They would always have toast, juice and some other carbohydrate source with it though. If you love the eggs and they work for you then go for it. I would recommend mixing in some carbohydrates with them though as egg whites are almost pure protein.

    ReplyDelete